How Does MRCOOL DIY Work?
If you are looking for a way to heat and cool your home without hiring an HVAC technician, you might be interested in the MRCOOL DIY mini split system. This is a ductless heat pump that can be installed by yourself, thanks to its innovative design and features. In this blog post, we will explain how the MRCOOL DIY works and what are its benefits.
What is a Mini Split System?
A mini-split system is a type of air conditioner that consists of two main components: an indoor unit (also called an air handler) and an outdoor unit (also called a condenser). The indoor unit is mounted on the wall or ceiling of the room that needs cooling or heating, and the outdoor unit is placed outside the house. The two units are connected by a set of pipes that carry refrigerant, a fluid that absorbs and releases heat.
A mini-split system works by transferring heat from one place to another. In cooling mode, the indoor unit absorbs heat from the room and sends it to the outdoor unit, where it is released to the outside air. In heating mode, the process is reversed: the outdoor unit absorbs heat from the outside air and sends it to the indoor unit, where it is released to the room.
Unlike a central air conditioner, a mini-split system does not require ductwork to distribute the conditioned air throughout the house. This makes it more energy-efficient, as ducts can lose up to 30% of the cooling or heating energy due to leaks and conduction. It also makes it more flexible, as you can install multiple indoor units to create different zones in your house, each with its own temperature setting.
What is MRCOOL DIY?
MRCOOL DIY is a brand of mini-split systems that are designed for easy installation by homeowners. Unlike other mini split systems, MRCOOL DIY does not require any special tools or skills to install. The main features that make MRCOOL DIY unique are:
- Pre-charged refrigerant lines: The pipes that connect the indoor and outdoor units are pre-filled with refrigerant at the factory, so you don’t need to vacuum or charge them during installation. This saves you time and money, as you don’t need to hire a professional or buy expensive equipment.
- Quick Connect system: The pipes have special fittings that snap together easily and securely, without any brazing or flaring. You just need to align and push them until they click into place. This makes the installation fast and simple, as you don’t need any soldering or welding.
- Smartphone app control: You can control your MRCOOL DIY system from anywhere using your smartphone and the MRCOOL SmartHVAC app. You can adjust the temperature, fan speed, mode, timer, sleep function, and more. You can also monitor the performance and status of your system, and receive alerts and notifications if there are any issues.
- Voice control: You can also control your MRCOOL DIY system using voice commands with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant. You just need to link your MRCOOL account with your smart speaker device, and then you can use voice commands like “Alexa, set MRCOOL to 72 degrees” or “Hey Google, turn on MRCOOL”.
- DIYPRO cable: The cable that connects the indoor and outdoor units is armored with a flexible conduit that provides extra protection and durability. The cable also has color-coded wires that match the terminals on both units, making it easy to wire them correctly.
How to Install MRCOOL DIY?
Installing an MRCOOL DIY system is not very difficult, but it does require some basic tools and skills. You will need a drill, a hole saw, a level, a tape measure, wrenches, screwdrivers, wire strippers, wire nuts, anchors, screws, and caulk. You will also need to follow some safety precautions, such as turning off the power supply before wiring the units, wearing gloves and eye protection when handling the pipes, and checking for leaks after connecting the pipes.
The general steps for installing an MRCOOL DIY system are:
- Choose and install a location for the indoor unit: You should choose a spot on the wall or ceiling that has enough space for the unit and its mounting plate, that has good air circulation and no obstructions, that is close to an electrical outlet or breaker box, and that is within 25 feet of the outdoor unit. You should also avoid placing the unit near sources of heat or moisture, such as stoves or showers. Once you have chosen a location, you should attach the mounting plate to the wall or ceiling using anchors and screws, making sure it is level.
- Drill a hole for the pipes: You should drill a 3.5-inch hole through the wall or ceiling behind the mounting plate, using a hole saw. The hole should be slightly slanted downward from the inside to the outside, to allow the condensate water to drain properly. You should also seal the edges of the hole with caulk to prevent air leakage and moisture intrusion.
- Mount the indoor unit: You should feed the pipes and the cable through the hole, and then hang the indoor unit on the mounting plate, making sure it is securely locked in place. You should also insert the smart controller into the slot on the side of the unit if you want to use the smartphone app or voice control features.
- Place the outdoor unit: You should choose a spot for the outdoor unit that has enough clearance for airflow and maintenance, is away from direct sunlight and sources of heat or noise, is on a flat and stable surface, and is within 25 feet of the indoor unit. You can place the outdoor unit on a concrete pad, a wall bracket, or a ground stand, depending on your preference. You should also secure the outdoor unit with bolts or anchors, and make sure it is level.
- Connect the pipes: You should bend the pipes downward from the hole, and then unwind and connect them to the indoor and outdoor units, using wrenches. You should follow the torque specifications in the manual, and avoid over-tightening or under-tightening the fittings. You should also open the refrigerant valves on the outdoor unit, using a hex key, and check for leaks with a spray bottle or a soapy solution.
- Wire the units: You should connect the wires of the cable to the terminals on both units, following the color codes and labels. You should use wire strippers, wire nuts, and electrical tape to make sure the connections are secure and insulated. You should also reinstall the wiring cover on both units and plug-in or hardwire the power supply.
- Test the system: You should turn on the power supply and test the system with the remote control or the smartphone app. You should check if the system is working properly in different modes and settings, and if there are any error codes or warnings. You should also register your system online to activate your warranty.
What are the Benefits of MRCOOL DIY?
MRCOOL DIY offers many benefits for homeowners who want to heat and cool their homes efficiently and conveniently. Some of these benefits are:
- Energy savings: MRCOOL DIY has a high SEER rating (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio), which means it uses less electricity to produce more cooling or heating output. MRCOOL DIY also has an inverter compressor and a DC motor, which can adjust their speed according to the demand, resulting in more consistent temperature and less energy waste.
- Comfort: MRCOOL DIY can provide personalized comfort for each room or zone in your house, as you can set different temperatures for each indoor unit. MRCOOL DIY also has features like sleep mode, turbo mode, auto mode, dehumidification mode, and swing mode, which can enhance your comfort level according to your preferences.
- Convenience: MRCOOL DIY can be controlled from anywhere using your smartphone or voice commands, so you don’t need to get up or look for a remote control. MRCOOL DIY also has a self-cleaning function, which can prevent mold and bacteria growth in the indoor unit.
- Installation: MRCOOL DIY can be installed by yourself without hiring an HVAC technician, saving you time and money. MRCOOL DIY also has pre-charged refrigerant lines and a Quick Connect system, which make the installation easy and fast.
MRCOOL DIY is a mini-split system that works by transferring heat from one place to another using refrigerant. It is designed for easy installation by homeowners, thanks to its pre-charged refrigerant lines and Quick Connect system. It also offers energy savings, comfort, convenience, and installation benefits for homeowners who want to heat and cool their homes efficiently and conveniently.